Sunday, April 29, 2012

Strangers' Smiles and Sunday Sweaters

I am consistently astounded by the friendliness of people I don't know.  Today, I have pinpointed why a smile from a stranger can make my day when nothing else can. 

That person I passed on the sidewalk had no obligation to smile when they saw me.  I wasn't making awkward eye contact, I didn't initiate the smile, and they didn't feel a need to greet me because I'm their lab partner's sister's roommate's neighbor.  We were strangers until the smile.

I am consistently delighted by Sundays.  Some of my friends have dedicated themselves to doing no work on Sundays in honor of the Lord's day, and I respect them very much for it.  For me, Sunday is a wonderful day to not have the pressure of five meetings in the afternoon and two exams and one quiz during the day.  It is a wonderful day to start with church and allow myself to be by myself or with others or spend a few minutes doing nothing or getting work done so I can thrive and not just survive during the next week.  Rest is highly underrated.  I always insist on wearing a sweater on Sundays.

Sweaters mean comfort and peace and contentment.  Sundays are a good reminder of what every day should contain.

No comments:

Post a Comment